Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Weekend Carnage

I am just starting week 3 of regular exercise. I have adjusted my exercise plan slightly; revised one above. I can honestly say that I am really enjoying walking at night. I NEVER thought I would ever say that. It is a nice hour or so of time-out listening to music and winding down from my day at work.

I missed a couple of evening exercise blocks on Tuesday and Wednesday. I also did not do any exercise between my walk on Friday night and the gym on Monday.

My weekends are often carnage! I think it is something to do with being out of a routine; so that just means that I need to develop a weekend routine that works for me (and Mark). Coincidently I just read a great blog by Susie Burrell ‘Are Weekends Making You Fat?’ which I thought was quite timely.

Also the eating was shit!! Waiting for payday is the worst! You eat what you have in the cupboards/fridge etc. and unfortunately we had a lot of bread in the freezer. Ugh. Total bloat fest!

I have realised that I am going to have to cut out pasta, rice and bread for a while until I can learn portion control. Will I miss them? Probably not! Will it kill me? Definitely not! I have a friend who is doing low carb and she is constantly finding amazing alternatives; think “pimped” cauliflower mash!

I had an epiphany at the gym this morning. What if I stock up the freezer with lots of good things so that we have healthy options if we are struggling to get through to payday? *ding* total light bulb moment. There are a lot of blog posts that I have read over the past year that talk about stocking your freezer. We are a bit limited as we only have the freezer under the fridge; however we are definitely considering getting a standalone freezer to stock with frozen vegetables, fruit, chicken etc.

I can definitely understand why our parents and grandparents generations bottled, canned and preserved fruit/vegetables when they were growing in abundance. I really should start bottling and preserving as I know a few people online that are definitely doing it; makes sense.

These were some of the ideas I had for stocking the cupboard/freezer:
  • Cannellini Beans
  • Chick Peas
  • Canned Tomatoes
  • Frozen Vegetables/Fruit
  • Chicken
  • Lentils
  • Rolled Oats

What are your suggestions for food to have on hand when things are a bit tight?

No comments:

Post a Comment