This morning we finally tried Les Mills Britomart.
We were nearly at Britomart when I had a wee ‘freak out’ moment. My stressed out comment to Mark was “shit this is just like going to a party where you don’t know anyone; in my 20’s I would have had a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other”.
Gin Gym and tonic anyone?? #Damn.
Let me explain. I have been going to Les Mills New Lynn for a very LONG time. It is my comfy, happy place. I know the staff there. I know how to work the machines. I know where everything is. Obviously, I am not very good with change. *cries*
Nevertheless, we decided that to save ourselves from the trauma of peak hour traffic (morning and night) we would try going to Les Mills Britomart 3-4 mornings a week. This means we avoid the morning traffic, get a workout in, get to work early and consequently we can leave work earlier. #Win.
On entering I discovered where the changing rooms were by discreetly following the woman in front of us and looking up to see the sign that said changing rooms.
I found a locker.
I found a cross trainer that looked like it could be good. I started my heart-rate monitor and climbed aboard. I successfully navigated the start-up instructions but could not figure out how to actually start cross-training; seriously why won’t my legs make it move like it is meant to? There were nearly tears. So I hopped off and went in search of a different machine. I found one and it worked. #Phew.
After 20 minutes on the cross-trainer I decided to try the treadmill. That was pretty easy to use and I had a nice view of Quay Street. Mark came and trained next to me which was highly entertaining.
After one 45 minute cardio session these are my thoughts:
- Smaller gym and fairly easy to navigate
- Parking is convenient (and close to cafes with coffee)
- Lots of different cardio machines; variety = HappyNess
- A nice view of Quay Street
- Fantastic shower heads that have adjustable heads
- Shiny new facilities
- Cardio equipment that picks up my heart-rate monitor and has plugs for iPod's etc.
- Missing peak hour traffic
- Being at work early
- I honestly think I could be the only overweight person at this gym? No really....I think I am!
- My gym shorts and t-shirt do not match; neither does my underwear
- The treadmills are not as good as the ones at New Lynn
- Queues for the women’s showers
- 50 billion (slight exaggeration) very young women trying to style their hair with hair dryers and/or straighteners
- No women’s gym?
I will definitely persevere with this gym. I will try all the equipment until I find machines that I love. Then I will be comfy here. I still love the New Lynn branch and will be going there on weekends and holidays.
I put together a training schedule for the next 10 weeks to incorporate much more exercise. I also needed to allow for the 3 events I have signed up for from mid-March to early-April. It might seem like a lot, but seriously I have a lot of weight to shift before the next family wedding. I have highlighted in pink what I have done so far. I got the template idea for the training schedule from a Prior Fat Girl blog. I hope Jen doesn't mind?
What do you love/hate about trying a new gym?