Over the past week or so I have thought about why I joined Twitter. I have actually written about this before on a couple of occasions and you can read about some of the main reasons here.
Last week a good friend talked about the reasons people join or use Twitter and a comment that she made got me thinking. Essentially it was that businesses can often use Twitter for different reasons to individual people.
I joined as an individual and not as a business so these are just my own thoughts and observations. I do not use Twitter for business purposes.
- Building a network of business contacts in similar or complementary industries to you
- Think about suppliers of produce, coffee or wine (just to name a few). Then think how these businesses connect with Restaurants, Café’s, bakeries etc.
- Connecting with existing customers and new customers
- Dealing with customer complaints
- Sharing and/or launching a new product or service
- Enabling smaller businesses to get their product or service out there
- Sharing your knowledge and skills with others through blogging or video’s
- The example that springs to mind is Alan from The Falls Restaurant in Henderson with his ‘Coffee Training’ videos
- Non-profit organisations using Twitter to spread the word, get support and/or financial assistance (if required)
- Meeting new and like-minded people
- Connecting with local people if you move to a new town, or move countries
- Mums and dad’s connecting with other parents. I will always remember Teena’s comment that sometimes having a conversation with adults is nice when a conversation with a 4 year old is not quite enough
- Finding products or services through Twitter ‘word-of-mouth’ and endorsements
- Learning new things
- Being exposed to a huge amount of information in real-time i.e. links to news articles, blogs etc.
- Organising an event i.e. Wedding, birthday, fundraiser etc.
I know that there are so many more reasons why business and individuals join Twitter. So why did you join Twitter?