Friday, May 20, 2011

Why I joined Twitter | Take 2


Over the past week or so I have thought about why I joined Twitter. I have actually written about this before on a couple of occasions and you can read about some of the main reasons here.

Last week a good friend talked about the reasons people join or use Twitter and a comment that she made got me thinking. Essentially it was that businesses can often use Twitter for different reasons to individual people.

I joined as an individual and not as a business so these are just my own thoughts and observations. I do not use Twitter for business purposes.

Business Use
  • Networking
  • Building a network of business contacts in similar or complementary industries to you
    • Think about suppliers of produce, coffee or wine (just to name a few). Then think how these businesses connect with Restaurants, CafĂ©’s, bakeries etc.
  • Connecting with existing customers and new customers
  • Dealing with customer complaints
  • Sharing and/or launching a new product or service
  • Enabling smaller businesses to get their product or service out there
  • Sharing your knowledge and skills with others through blogging or video’s
  • Non-profit organisations using Twitter to spread the word, get support and/or financial assistance (if required)
Personal Use
  • Meeting new and like-minded people
  • Connecting with local people if you move to a new town, or move countries
  • Mums and dad’s connecting with other parents. I will always remember Teena’s comment that sometimes having a conversation with adults is nice when a conversation with a 4 year old is not quite enough
  • Finding products or services through Twitter ‘word-of-mouth’ and endorsements
  • Learning new things
  • Being exposed to a huge amount of information in real-time i.e. links to news articles, blogs etc.
  • Organising an event i.e. Wedding, birthday, fundraiser etc.

I know that there are so many more reasons why business and individuals join Twitter. So why did you join Twitter?

1 comment:

  1. I joined twitter when I started my old blog. It allowed me to make updates about my latest blog posts and it served as a fun, real time way for my blog followers to get an idea of who I am - even when I had blogger's block!
    I admit to being one of those people who just has to share her thoughts constantly...sorry...it just seemed like fun.
    I used to make fun of twitter (and the people who tweet) but now I enjoy it and I can connect with people who read my blog and who I find funny or smart or just plain friendly!
    I love my twitter friends!!! Including you! :)

    ReplyDelete